Tuesday, November 29, 2011

shipping fragile stuff is The Pits

Etsy's great - you can put things you make on sale there. Awesome! If someone likes it, they buy it (or at least put it in their Favorites, which I love). It's a wonderful place to shop for unique items, they treat the sellers fabulously, I just can't go on enough about it. So I was super excited when I opened my Etsy shop a few months ago. It's fun - I loved beautifully wrapping the items for my customers, and I always slipped in a little "thank you" gift. It was going along splendidly, except for one HUUUUGE caveat: "shipping". Ugh. I sell glassware, and in order for it to arrive unbroken, I have to pretty much mummify the stuff in multiple layers of "stuff". Meaning, by the time it's safe and ready to go, the box is ginormous, about $13-worth of postage, just for one pair of wine glasses. It's crazy, who wants to pay $13 for a $28 order?

So I'm thinking about closing up shop, and just posting a pic and babble on a bit about the stuff I create right here on my blog (and Facebook). I'm glad I tried it, my customers were all wonderful folks, Etsy treated me great, but... how I wish I could sell my wares in a real store of my own. Maybe some day.

ANYhoo, here's a pic of some glasses I did with a "tentacled" theme. Until I find a glue that's waterproof, non-toxic, and can bind polymer clay to glass, I'll just keep them for my own personal use. Hope you enjoy them.  :)








No comments:

Post a Comment